15:48 31st Aug, 2015
Videocon Starts Manufacturing Mobile Phones At Kolkata Unit | TechTree.com
Videocon Starts Manufacturing Mobile Phones At Kolkata Unit
This is the first manufacturing plant in the eastern region of India and also company's second mobile manufacturing plant.
Videocon has finally started manufacturing mobile handsets at its Salt Lake facility in Kolkata.
To recall, the company had announced earlier this year that it was planning to start three manufacturing units in the country in Hyderabad, Kolkata and Madurai.
However, the new facility is the first manufacturing unit in the eastern region of the country and the company's second mobile manufacturing plant after Aurangabad in Maharashtra.
The Salt Lake facility is said to be having a production capacity of three million units a year while now, only feature phones are said to be produced.
The new facility is also said to be account for almost 40 per cent share of the mobile phones market while around Rs 50 crore has been initially invested by the company.
It is also being said the facility would be manufacturing mobile handsets of other companies as well in the future.
This step by Videocon is definitely in sync with the Make in India trend set by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Xiaomi, Vivo, HTC, Sony, Microsoft, LG, Motorola, Asus, Micromax, Celkon and Karbonn are some of the national and international smartphone makers that have joined the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
[Also Read: Asus Plans To Make Smartphones In India]
Earlier this month, Lenovo and Motorola started manufacturing smartphones in India.
To recall, Videocon recently launched Z55 Dash smartphone which is said to be completely designed and assembled at its local manufacturing plant in India.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals