13:57 11th Aug, 2015
Stagefright Patches For Google’s Nexus Range Are Finally Out | TechTree.com
Stagefright Patches For Google’s Nexus Range Are Finally Out
Not all devices come under Google’s umbrella of security updates.
Frankly speaking, Stagefright is a big mess, one that Google ignored long enough, to make into the news it is today. Well, even though Google ignored the issue for long, the search giant has finally begun pushing out an update that fixes the problem.
The update clearly will not add anything new or interesting to your Nexus device, but simply fix the bad stagefright code. The vulnerability upon discovery lead to millions of devices being left at the mercy of hackers with just a single MMS.
Google’s finally doing what it should have done months ago, but that’s not about it. So far Android Police reports that just the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 9 and the Nexus 10 are invited to this patch party.
Devices left out in the cold include the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7 (2012 version) which plenty of users will still be using.
While Nexus owners will be happy that their devices have now been patched up, Google and other Android smartphone manufacturers have a long way to go until updates for their devices reach their respective smartphones.
Android smartphone brands doing what they do best, will obviously ignore older devices and deliver patches to just the flagship ones. Clearly, this means that if you own a mid-range device, your smartphone or tablet will still be at risk until Android M arrives. This is provided that manufacturers will still support those devices when Google releases the final code.
The updates are rolling out to different Nexus devices gradually, but you can head over to Android Police and download and install them manually if you are in a hurry.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals