Alnoor M Peermohamed
12:37 06th May, 2014
Stockholm's 75-Foot Electric Ferry Takes Just 10 Minutes To Charge | TechTree.com
Stockholm's 75-Foot Electric Ferry Takes Just 10 Minutes To Charge
Making the world a better place by cutting 130 tons of CO2 emissions and 1.5 tons of NOx emissions at a time.
The age of electric mobility isn't here yet, largely due to current technology that doesn't allow for quick charging of batteries. Well, that's what we thought until we heard of boffins at Stockholm that have created an electric ferry which can be charged in as little as 10 minutes.
The Movitz, a 75-foot long ferry that can carry up to 100 passengers, is ditching its CO2 belching 335hp diesel engine for two 125 kilowatt electric motors mounted on either side of the hull. The motors will be powered by a 180 kilowatt-hour nickel metal hydride battery pack that provides the ferry enough juice to chug along for an hour at 9 knots.
While that doesn't sound too exciting, what will set the Movitz apart is its rapid charging system that can top up the batteries in as little as 10 minutes. Developed by startup Echandia Marine, the system will cut 130 tons of CO2 emissions and 1.5 tons of NOx emissions while reducing operating costs 30 percent.
WIRED notes that it makes sense to electrify vehicles that travel on fixed routes and have long stops – buses, delivery trucks and ferries. The Movitz will spend its days making hourlong journeys over water with a 10-minute layover at stops for charging, also the time taken for passengers to be loaded and unloaded.
Echandia's system for rapid charging makes StoreDot's technology that allowed for charging of a Samsung Galaxy S4 in 30 seconds look weak. Ideally though both technologies are a quantum leap in battery and charging technology that we will most likely see more of in the near future.
Technologies like these really show us that the electric age is near, all we have to do is nurture them and iron out the kinks. The cost of such technologies may initially be mammoth, but as proven it isn't impossible.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals