17th May 2017
WannaCry Ransomware attack definitely created panic among people for over a few days. However, the actual panic creators seem to be hoax news and messages that are making rounds on WhatsApp and other social media. The hoax messages range from not to use shopping sites, online banking to using ATMs as possible traps of the ransomware. However, here in this story, we are unwrapping the truth behind these hoax messages.
1. RBI orders Shutdown of ATMs until they are patched and safe
Well RBI recently issued clarification that they haven’t issued such orders.
2. Avoid using ATMs and Do not do any online transaction
While this definitely frightens anyone at the first moment itself, but we if at all the ATM computer systems have been infected with Ransomware, then the message that it has been infected would be displayed. So, again a hoax!
3. Don't do any online transaction. Don't open any Shopping cart.
Again, if the web server was actually infected with Ransomware, it wouldn’t simply be able to serve the pages. The hackers cannot simply store Ransomware in shopping carts right?!
4. Dance of the Hillary video
We searched everywhere. Oh yes, I personally did. But, it looks like there is no proof of existence of such video. However, we recommend you to be careful while downloading any file on to your system and phones.
As if these fake news were not enough to threaten people, social media even witnessed advices which somehow don’t make sense at all. Well, if you want to know, advices include:
- Power off smart TVs, tablets, and every other smart device.
- Turn off Bluetooth, WiFi, tethering (also known as Hotspot) on your mobile phones.
- Switch off your servers (or any other computers that you may leave on 24x7.
- Disconnect LAN (network, CAT6, CAT5) cable plugging computers or laptops in the network. If it is a laptop, it may have a physical slide switch or button press to switch off WiFi card inside the laptop - Switch That Off.
While all these fake news and advices have threatened people enough, one simple piece of advice that would help you out in this situation is - Keep your Antivirus Software active and updated on all your devices.
WannaCry Ransomware Attack Is True, But Messages Are Fake | TechTree.com
WannaCry Ransomware Attack Is True, But Messages Are Fake
Shutdown of ATMS, Do Not Perform Online Transactions, and Dance of the Hillary Video definitely threatened people to the core.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals